Updated: 50 homicides in St Lucia during 2019
In January 2014, British tourist Roger Pratt was murdered while on holiday in Vieux Fort, St Lucia. More than five years on, four men arrested and charged within days of the attack have yet to face trial.
This is unfair to those of us who knew and loved Roger. Justice delayed is justice denied, and Margaret, in particular, cannot move on with her life until there is a conclusion to Roger’s story.
But it isn’t just unfair to Roger’s friends and family. It is also unfair to the four men who remain incarcerated without trial in the Bordelais Correctional Facility, and it is also unfair to the good people of St Lucia.
With the justice system at a standstill in St Lucia, violent criminals can operate almost unchallenged. The failings of St Lucia’s justice system is contributing to the island’s spiral of decline. St Lucia’s people are suffering as a result.
Since Roger’s murder, we have kept a close eye on the local crime reports. There were 43 reported homicides in St Lucia last year. On an island with just 160,000 people, that gives St Lucia a homicide rate of 27 per 100,000 residents.
There are only 13 countries in the world with worse murder rates than St Lucia. People in St Lucia are more than five times more likely to be murdered than residents of the USA. The chances of being murdered in St Lucia are 16 times higher than they are in Canada and 22 times higher than in the UK.
The world takes notice when people like Roger or Robert Hathaway are killed in St Lucia. However, the reality is that people are being murdered in St Lucia every week.
By keeping a list of all those murdered in St Lucia, we hope to encourage the island's politicians and legal system to grasp the gravity of the issue they are dealing with.
We also hope to prompt the systematic changes required to deliver justice and make St Lucia a safe and prosperous island.
To the friends and families of the victims, you are in our thoughts and prayers. We know what you are going through.
50. Jimmy Ellis, Vide Boutielle, Castries
49. Kirtland Fanus, Micoud
48. Aaron Cooper, Anse Ger, Micoud
47. Nicholas Jn Baptiste, Anse Ger, Desruisseaux
46. Victim's name unknown
45. Victim's name unknown
44. Lyndon George, Vieux Fort
43. Yanney Severin, Castries
42. Andrew Joseph, Mon Repos, Micoud
41. Miguel Edward, Rodney Bay
40. Titus Joseph, Vieux Fort
39. Victim's name unknown
38. Paul Bruce, Castries
37. Burke Baptiste, Dennery
36. Shalomn Cyril, Soufriere
35. Lawrence Marcellin, Vieux Fort
34. Nicholas Jn Louis, La Ressource, Dennery
33. Arkeem Antoine, Georgeville, La Pansee
32. Vic Dennis, Sarrot
31. Mathurine Donelley, Micoud
30. Elisha Jackson, Castries
29. Kim Gustave, Dennery
28. Delan Fontinelle, Choiseul
27. Augustin Plummer, Castries
26. Victim's name unknown, Castries
25. Gino Joseph, Castries
24. Curtis Christopher, Castries
23. Earl Emmanuel, Castries
22. Marjele Williams, Gros Islet
21. Stephen Octave, Vieux Fort
20. Camillus Emmanus, Anse La Raye
19. Ison St. John, Soufriere
18. Victim's name unknown
17. Shawn Joseph, Castries
16. Arnold Joseph, Babonneau
15. Kadeem Joseph, Canaries
14. Christopher Hippolyte, Anse la Raye
13. Dwight Louis, Castries
12. Shevard Dupre, Canaries
11. Kadeem Joseph, Canaries
10. Chad Ramsay, Castries
9. Lance Camille, Micoud
8. Howard Henry, Vieux Fort
7. Stan Pistol, Castries
6. Miguel Alphonse, Gros Islet
5. Michael Pooran, Castries
4. Souheil Wassouf, Anse La Raye
3. Melvin George, Vieux Fort
2. Hendi Calderon, Castries
1. Robert Hathaway, Gros Islet